Launched in 2012, STEM YES! was created to provide students who are low-income, from underrepresented groups, and have disabilities, the opportunity to gain hands-on project-based experiences and workplace learning opportunities with local employers to prepare them to enter high wage careers in STEM and explore business practices with local employers.
Within the two week program period, students participate:
- Youth work in small groups, mentored by a STEM business professional, to design and develop a business plan for a STEM business and present their plan on the final program day to business professionals for feedback on the viability of their plan.
- Interactive classroom instruction, taught by STEM business professionals, on core business practices including marketing, finance, business development, research and product development, information technology and human resources.
- Small-groups participate in hands-on learning on-site at partnering STEM business locations, where they work with STEM professionals to learn business practices and further develop their business plans.
- Project Lead the Way (PLTW) interactive STEM workshop
- Career and college preparation activities including a campus tour and business etiquette lunch sponsored by Butler University, a Dress for Success workshop by Banana Republic, and resume development and mock job interviews.
How to participate as an Employer:
- Small group (6 students per group) STEM business plan development and presentation. We need passionate STEM business professional to be speakers in helping STEM YES! participants, to develop a STEM business plan. Students present projects at end of program for feedback.
- Interactive classroom instruction on core business practices. We need STEM business professionals to share and help students learn core business practices including marketing, finance, business development, research and product development, information technology and human resources.
- Hands-on learning at STEM businesses (6 Indianapolis businesses each host 12 students) We need employers who are passionate about exposing underrepresented Central Indiana Students in grades 10-12. Small groups meet at STEM business partner locations to experience hands-on business practices and work with STEM professionals to develop STEM business plan project.
“The STEM YES! program was very enriching and allowed me to learn about the corporate world and meet new people. It showed me that it is possible for me to prosper in my profession of choice. I recommend the STEM YES! program to all High School students in the greater Indianapolis area. Thank you, STEM YES!”
Moses Gentry — STEM YES! Program – Participant
“The program was awesome. Sam really enjoyed every minute. Thank you for such a solid educational experience that could not be duplicated in the regular high school classroom.”