This release focused on improvements to search results and hotspot add user experience.
Meta Description Override
Sites can now have a custom meta description. This settings is found on the SeoSite model admin. Custom meta description allows Microsite owners to provide a custom description of their .Jobs Microsite's content to search engines.
Add Companies During Job Import
Companies are now added and updated during the import process every day. The company name is derived from the company node in the dseo xml feed from us.jobs.
Advanced Search Operators
The “what” field now support advanced search operators. For example, you can now search for “title: web” and the result set will only include jobs with “web” in the title.
Query Optimization & Boosting
Deployed: 8/9/12 and 8/14/12
The process by which searches are passed back and forth between the site and the Solr backend has been improved and streamlined. This functionality enabled the Advanced Search Operators addition above. In addition, date added now plays a much smaller role in search rankings.
Deployed: 8/10/12 and 8/14/12
Hotspot ads have been modified so that:
- The hotspot is displayed on mouse hover instead of mouse click.
- The entire ad is clickable to the ad url, not just the hyperlink
- They are now wider and easier to read
- When a hotspot overlaps the search fields, it will overlap the search box when the mouse is in it, but hide behind the search box when the mouse is outside the ad.
- The first hotspot for first billboard image is now displayed as an ad in the mobile (narrow width) format of the page. The billboard image is randomly selected at load, so the mobile ad will inherit this randomness.